The worst thing about cancer is the loss of control over your body – that’s pure hell for a control freak like me! One way I’m striking back is through diet and exercise. These are the small things that I DO have a say in…
With chemo imminent I’ve adopted a strict veggie diet (plus fresh fish for the good Omegas), taking advice from books and friends alike. I believe in both medical science and alternative therapies – each having a place in my world at the moment.
I start every morning with a smoothie that combines all the best anti-cancer natural goodness – organic wheatgrass, ginger, turmeric, spinach, black grapes and lots and lots of berries. I don’t prescribe to the theory that all sugar feeds cancer. Refined sugar, yes – so no more chocolate binges for me 😩.
- Two heaped teaspoons of organic wheatgrass
- One teaspoon of golden turmeric
- Large thumbnail size of fresh ginger, chopped roughly
- 1 x Handful of organic fresh baby leaf spinach
- 1 x Ripe banana
- Large handful of frozen mixed berries – blueberries, strawberries, raspberries.
- 1 x Handful of seedless black grapes
- 1 x Handful fresh raspberries, strawberries and blackberries
- Large dash of coconut water
Once done, blitz it all together! I use a Nutribullet to extract all that extra goodness.
At the moment I need to sieve the smoothie afterwards to remove all the berry seeds (not good for a new resection patient as these can get stuck in the join of my new bionic colon – ouch!!)
I also take a Vit D3 supplement, Aloe Vera juice and drink buckets of green tea every day. It can’t hurt and it makes me feel great. I also got signed off by my surgeon yesterday to begin light exercise again. Happy days!